Saturday, June 21, 2008

CIGARETTE IN YOUR BED

Yes kids, smoking is indeed glamorous, or at the very least an evocative cultural reference point that captures those intense moments of pensive reflection, often functioning as a conduit for fleeting human connection. As witnessed in this video montage to the wonderful "Cigarette In Your Bed" by My Bloody Valentine, some iconic black and white film clips are given a new dimension and are wonderfully enhanced by this richly textured song.



MBV were great at creating surreal and engaging aural landscapes. The simple "shoegazing" label is vastly inadequate. One is more likely to gaze into the infinite sky, their compositions acting like the physical manifestation of a wonderful lucid dream or some brief flight of fancy as the mind drifts freely while absorbed in random memory.

It does good to my soul knowing that they will soon be making music again, though my ears still bleed when I think of the time I saw them in concert. Anyways, sit back and enjoy this splendid video (just remember to extinguish your cigarette before the song ends, as it may induce a dream like state).

6 comments:

Randal Graves said...

Well hot damn, I didn't know they had reformed.

bloody awful poetry said...

MBV still exist?? Goodness.
I'm still in a bit of a daze with all the Sigur ros flooding my airwaves recently, though.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I'm quite thrilled about MBV's reunion as well, but am a little concerned that they are not releasing any recent photos. What are they hiding? Don't they know that we are all older as well and will not judge them if they have beer bellies?

Comrade Kevin said...

I am thrilled by this revelation, but I'm afraid they'll turn out to be too old and out of ideas, as so many bands who reform after a lengthy hiatus turn out to be.

Westcoast Walker said...

It seems that the sentiment is consistent for us all - an MBV reunion is most welcomed, though in light of their less than prolific output it is hoped that after more than a decade and a half removed from recording together they would come up with something dynamic.

Barbara - don't worry I have seen recent footage on YouTube - they are still really loud in concert and I don't see any beer bellies or intolerable fashion disasters present either.

Allison said...

Great video. I'm looking forward to hearing what they do next.

I was going to try and get tickets for their reunion show in London, but I couldn't find anyone to come with. I'm already dragging a friend to see Morrissey, I don't think she'd appreciate anymore concert going. Philistines.