Monday, February 18, 2008

LATE NIGHT LISTENING

TONIGHT"S PICK- MAZZY STAR

I have been making periodic trips to my local library to get audio books for my commute and to rediscover some great albums that may have fallen out of my consciousness for a while. With my latest find I am immersed once again in some ethereal dream pop from Mazzy Star, in order to enhance my late night blogging and help me obtain that fleeting and transcendent state of bliss that music has the power to deliver.

"So Tonight That I Might See" was Mazzy Star's second album, released in 1993. It is a great listen from start to finish, offering a subtle and reflective aural journey. Hope Sandoval's vocals are beguiling, and the crisp minimalist production enhances the dream like quality present for most of the tracks. At times there is a distorted slow core drone to the instruments, often with Sandoval's vocals hovering slightly above, sounding if she is singing alone in a big empty space.

It is a perfect record for late night listening... so dim the lights, burn some candles, and enjoy "Fade Into You";

3 comments:

Life As I Know It Now said...

you have excellent taste in music my friend!

Dean Wormer said...

That is really nice music. Thanks for sharing. You get to listen to so much new stuff on the internets.

Dr. Zaius said...

I've never heard of Mazzy Star. Haunting.