Thursday, June 4, 2009

SYNCHRONICITY

On my ride to work the other morning I decided to rediscover a few CDs from my long neglected CD binder, which is the resting place of many albums that have been denied shelf space in my home (a rare commodity). My choice that morning was "This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours" by The Manic Street Preachers, a late 90's album that I used to listen to a fair bit.

Of course in the strange and mystical universe that I inhabit something magical happened. At almost the precise moment that I was listening to the album and contemplating how it was now 10 years-old, a truck slowly drove past me that had "10th Anniversary" written on a large logo in gold letters on its side.

This completely rocked my world, as I live for those rare moments of synchronicity where the seeming randomness of life is infused with connection to larger forces and a sense of meaning and purpose. Sure, it is probably just a coincidence, though I personally find it comforting to take careful note when this sort of thing happens.

As I was writing this blog entry and looking at what (the ever reliable) Wikipedia had to say about the Jungian concept of Synchronicity, I noticed that writer Arthur Koestler's "The Roots of Coincidence" was referenced at the end of the entry. This was very strange indeed, as earlier in the week I had a vivid dream where the Koestler novel "Darkness At Noon" was featured prominently.

The dream about Koestler's novel was still in my mind throughout the morning, to the point that I felt compelled to read up on him, as I hadn't read his book or thought about it for quite some time (for well over 10 years I might add!). Needless to say, I now feel compelled to read Koestler again in the hope of digging a little deeper behind my recent experience.

So there it is, strange connections in the midst of an ordinary week - a dream about Arthur Koestler - a Manic Street Preachers album - a 10th anniversary sign on a truck - and further references to Koestler coming to my attention. What is the universe trying to tell me?

2 comments:

Allison said...

I love those little moments, such a rare experience, and such a good album to be reminded of. Sometimes I get so bogged down with the new, I forget about the past greats.

peru said...

I have been interested in coincidence for a number of years now after experiencing many and after reading the celestine prophecy.
Tonight I saw this manics CD in a bargain bin in a local supermarket and although I didnt buy it something registered. Watched Red Dwarf x tonight. They referred to arthur koestler and his work on synchronisity. This led to this link. weird eh? TRUST YOUR SYNCRONISITY.