Saturday, February 9, 2008

WHY I ADMIRE NEKO CASE



(Song: Outro With Bees - Neko Case)

For me lines like these are snapshots, fleeting shadows that capture unspoken truths.They are the vast and painful chasm between what we feel and what we say. They are a knowing wink just outside of your peripheral vision, an awkward glance that can say more than a thousand words. They are the realization that understanding is just a dream, yet still we try. Great art or music references these hidden places and brings them into the light.

Other lines embed themselves in my mind and take up permanent residence. In the case of Hold On, Hold On, the opening lines are part confession, part warning about the risky venture of unleashing the real passions of the human heart into the mix;

"The most tender place in my heart is for strangers
I know it's unkind but my own blood is much too dangerous"



What are the lines that take a hold of you?

3 comments:

Anaïs Nohant said...

With Neko Case, it's hard to pick because SO much of her work is heartstompingly good BUT one track just kills me.

Teenage Feeling

"Now that we've met
We can only laugh at these regrets
Common as a winter cold
They're telephone poles
They follow each other
One, after another, after another"

Then she blows you away with this:

"And nothing comforts me the same
As my brave friend who says,
"I don't care if forever never comes'cause I'm holding out for that teenage feeling..."

Dr. Zaius said...

"...your lifestyle's too extreme, I'm your new commander - you now are my prisoner, we return to transylvania, prepare the transit beam..." Oh! Wrong movie.

Westcoast Walker said...

Hey Anais - you are indeed a kindred spirit if you are as enraptured with Neko case as I am!

Hi Zaius - I am trying to decipher your clever simian quote - please enlighten me with the source